Q: How can I tell if the motor mount needs to be replaced?

I'm about to go look at a ml430 for sale and they said it needs the motor mount replaced. How can I tell if that's what's wrong wi

Hello. This problem may or may not be detected visually—excessive engine movement may be seen while idling—or by feel—engine movement can cause contact with the chassis or something else on the car, which one can feel. The motor mounts on this particular model include a hydraulic component which leaks fluid when it has ruptured or otherwise failed. This may be visible from underneath the car, with the engine splash shields removed (which is a lot of trouble). I would recommend having a pre-purchase car inspection completed by a mobile, professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, who can come to the car’s location, give it a thorough evaluation, provide an accurate assessment of any damage or needed repairs, and then give you a cost estimate for those repairs.

3. How can I tell if the motor mount needs to be replaced?