Q: Ign sw fuse keeps blowing

Have a 2001 dodge grand caravan pulled out the driveway and drove like20 feet and it just died still had all power then found the ign sw fuse was blown changed it and when I try to start the van it blows again have checked wires for cuts and what not and found nothing also put a new ign sw in and still blows any idea on what next? Thanks

Electric Problems Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. You were right to look for a short in the system, but there are other causes for excess power in a system. The ignition switch itself pulls power from the charging system and the battery. If the ignition switch is new and the problems are persisting, then the charging system should be inspected next. You will also want to check the power supply to the ignition switch. If you have a voltmeter, you can test the alternator to make sure its output is being regulated properly. If the charging and ignition systems both check out, look to the fuse box for signs of issues. For more diagnostic help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.