Q: My car's reverse is acting as if it is in neutral.

asked by on October 20, 2016

My reverse was acting as in neutral for a few days. Read to try 4 low then back to 4auto and that worked but worried problem will come back. Told my family member who is mechanic tranny is shot however everything runs fine aside from this 1 issue. Looking for a second opinion. Going to try getting a flush to see if that helps.

Hi and thanks for your question. The issue is not the transmission but rather the transfer case. The low to high speed shift module on the transfer case is losing power. Check the harness to the shift module motor on the transfer case for any looseness or debris.

If you cannot find any problems with the shift module motor, then check the fuse box for any burned fuses. If the fuses are all good, then I suggest replacing the shift module motor on the transfer case.

If you need assistance with troubleshooting the transfer case issue, then seek out a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, to determine if there are electrical problems with the transfer case or if a fuse needs to be replaced.