Q: Timing chain broke, is my car not fixable now or do I have bent valves?

Have I ruined my 2005 Hyundai Accent since timing chain broke and I tried to start car not knowing it was a timing chain problem ? Have I ruined my car ?

Unfortunately, your engine - as most engines today - is what is considered an interference engine. The timing belt/chain is responsible for keeping the internal engine parts moving in the correct time. Interference refers to the fact the intake and/or exhaust valves occupy the same space as the pistons. The timing belt/chain keeps that from happening at the same time.

If the timing belt or chain brakes, the valves and pistons will hit each other. Valves can bend and/or break and the pistons can be damaged. The cylinder head would have to be removed to inspect the pistons. If the pistons are not damaged, then the least expensive route for repair, would be to replace the entire cylinder head with a rebuilt one as it is less labor intensive than rebuilding your existing cylinder head. If the pistons are damaged, then a complete remanufactured or used engine would be the least expensive route to repair the vehicle.

If you’d like a second opinion on this, have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, come to your location and inspect your vehicle firsthand and suggest what to do from there. Best of luck.

• Timing chain broke, is my car not fixable now or do I have bent valves?