Q: Error code P0014

My oil change sticker on a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer says March of 2016 and the check engine light gives error code P0014. If I change the oil, will the light go off, or do I need to replace the cam sensor?

Hello, thank you for writing in. The OBD-II error code P-0014 is typically related to an over adjusted timing issue detected by the camshaft sensor as opposed to a damaged sensor itself, which leads me to think that it’s either an ignition timing error in your Trailblazer, or that the camshaft sensor may be sending faulty data. Changing the oil should be done on mileage intervals as opposed to dates, so if you’ve traveled between 4000 to 6000 miles since your last oil change, you should have it done regardless. Due to the fact that multiple variables can trigger this error code, you might want to have one of our local mechanics inspect this issue for you. Here at YourMechanic, we can have a technician come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this check engine light for you, and make or suggest the necessary repairs.