Q: No 3rd or 4th gears

asked by on July 16, 2017

The issue I have is that 1st 2nd 5th and reverse all work great. When I shift into 3rd or 4th it is like I'm in neutral. I just bought the car and don't know what happened to cause the issue but I know the clutch is still good as it goes into all gears just has nothing in 3rd or 4th. Any help would be great. Thank you.

Car is hard to shift Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. Typically when an individual gear is hard to shift into with a manual transmission, it’s an internal gear failure inside the transmission case or linkage issue. When all gears are hard to shift, it’s likely the clutch. Since the vehicle is 20 years old, it’s quite possible that the transmission is in need of rebuild or replace. This type of problem can pop up rapidly, and eventually will lead to complete transmission failure in most cases. You might want to have a professional mechanic come to your location to complete a car is hard to shift inspection so they can isolate the source of your problem and recommend the right course of action.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr