Q: Drive shaft replaced, now van won't go forward

asked by on May 31, 2016

My van had a drive shaft problem, but I got that part changed. After the repair, we couldn't get the van to drive forward, but it goes in reverse just fine. The transmission specialists around here are telling me it's happening because the shaft was removed while the oil was too hot, and that this is a common problem that "13-Pin Valve Body" Siennas have. That's a little hard to swallow. The first computer code we got was P0500. The second was P0793. What would you make of this?

I am not aware of any problems about removing and replacing a driveshaft when the vehicle is warm. I however have seen transaxle damaged from not installing the axle all the way into the transmission and engaging the axle fully into the transaxle.

The two codes are to the transmission shaft speed sensor and a speed sensor for the transmission. I would have the axle shaft checked for proper installation and have the two sensors diagnosed to see if they are causing the transmission to not shift. Have a certified mechanic diagnose your vehicle, they will be able to properly diagnose the symptoms you’re experiencing and make the necessary repairs to get your car moving again.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr