Q: Transmission fluid filter change - 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria

asked by on September 03, 2016

I stopped at the local Quick Lube to get my transmission fluid and filter changed. My car hasn’t been shifting properly the rest of the day. The problem is worse when it’s cold, but better after it warms up. It did this the next day, too. I check my oil and it seems fine. Do you know what happened? How can I fix this? Do you think the Quick Lube caused this?

Based on your model year, this vehicle may have lots of miles on it. (I am going to assume they changed the transmission filter as they should have. Call to verify.) Changing transmission fluid can often have a negative effect, despite logic that would suggest otherwise. Changing the fluid may stir up sediment that sticks in the valve body of the transmission, changing shift behavior. The new fluid has a slightly "refreshing" effect on seals and cluches, also slightly changing shift behavior. It doesn’t hurt to take it back to the shop where the work was done to verify their work. But - be prepared to hear some of the above rationale for the behavior you now see, based on it being a higher mileage vehicle. If you would like, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office and inspect your vehicles transmission, fluids, and filter.