Q: High output alternator - What about the voltage regulator?

Hi.

I'm installing a new high output alternator (370a),- rated to 230a at idle, and 370a at 1800rpm. I was wondering if the original voltage regulator is internally installed inside the alternator? If not - will the new alternator need a new voltage regulator to produce it's rated power, and to make it function properly?

If it matters, the van has a big batterybank connected to the "under hood" battery, rated in total to 700ah, so overcharging would not be a problem?

I'm also wondering about how long the original serpentine belt is? The van has A.I.R and A/C.

Hi there. Typically we don’t offer advice on aftermarket component upgrades. In regards to whether the voltage regulator is located inside the new alternator, that depends on the unit. This one for example has it installed inside and does not require an additional unit. In regards to the serpentine belt, I believe the OEM specs are 101’ long by .82’ wide with six ribs.

3. High output alternator - What about the voltage regulator?