Q: Alternator Pulley came off!!

asked by on December 23, 2016

hi, there was a strange noise coming from my engine bay and when i opened up the bonnet I discovered that the alternator pulley had come off and bits of the bearing scattered everywhere. can i replace it? or should i replace the whole alternator? the part that the pulley was sat on was smooth and im pretty sure its not supposed to be right? maybe the heat melted the thread? PLease answer this is urgent, Thanks

Alternator Replacement $149.30 - $1396.98 Get a Quote

Hello there, many faults will cause the alternator pulley to fail on your 2003 Volkswagen Golf. When the pulley assembly fails on the alternator it is most often due to a seized alternator bearings. To remedy this issue properly the alternator should be replaced. A qualified Technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose and replace your alternator as needed.