Q: Car starting hard

On my 2008 Chevrolet HHR...the check engine light came on and the code is P0171. The car is hesitant to start when first turning the key but if you turn the key to off and then try again it starts and from what I can tell runs fine while driving. What are some things I can look for as I assume something is misfiring? I put some fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank two days ago and that doesn't seem to have worked.

A: The most common faults that cause your hard...

The most common faults that cause your hard start can be a EVAP Purge Solenoid that is on the intake manifold. It's relatively easy to replace and only around $25. Or, it can be a fuel pump pressure issue that can cost several hundred dollars to replace as the part is costly and it is located in the fuel tank.

If you'd like to get this fix, have the car inspected by a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic. They'll be able to diagnose your Check Engine Light firsthand and help you fix it accordingly. Best of luck.