Q: Car sounds like lawn mower when pressing the gas pedal

When I press the gas pedal, the car sounds like I am starting a lawn mower. If I press the gas pedal for too long, the car starts to smell like a belt has fallen off.

A: Hello. It sounds like you have a large exha...

Hello. It sounds like you have a large exhaust leak. If there is an exhaust leak, you are getting raw exhaust out of the engine, and that might be what you're smelling. You should not operate or drive the vehicle until the noise is diagnosed, because an exhaust leak can start a fire if it makes contact with the wrong thing under the car. You are probably going to need the aid of a mechanic, since the car may have to be jacked-up to inspect the exhaust system for the source of the noise.