Q: What's the purpose of thermostat in a car?

What's the purpose of thermostat in a car?and what could be the implications of removing thermostat of a car without replacing it immediately?

Hi There, The thermostat regulates the flow of the coolant in your car’s engine and controls when the coolant flows in and out of the motor from the radiator by opening and closing at specific temperatures. When your thermostat is not working properly or is stuck closed, this will not allow the coolant to properly circulate through the engine, which may cause the engine temperature to fluctuate erratically or in some cases just remain hot. When the thermostat is stuck open it can cause the coolant to circulate constantly resulting in the motor never reaching the correct operating temperature. I would strongly not recommend removing the the thermostat without replacing it immediately. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to inspect and replace your thermostat.

3. What's the purpose of thermostat in a car?