Q: Lights went out while driving

As I was driving about 35 mph with my high beams on ,they went out all of a sudden along with my dash board lights to just my normal running lights. I pulled over and turned the car off. I turned it back on and then none of my head lights worked. My turn signals work as well as my rear lights but both my dashboard and head lights don't. I took the fuse to the local auto parts store to replace it and they checked the fuse and said it was good and then said check the relay so I replaced what Im pretty sure is the right relay and nothing. What else could it possibly be or is there a different relay somewhere else? Please help? Thank you for your time.

A: If fuses and relays are good, there are oth...

If fuses and relays are good, there are other possible causes. The ignition switch may have failed internally. If the circuitry inside the electrical portion of the ignition switch has a break or short, it can cut power to the headlights. Also, a common fault among GM products of the era is the combination switch - the turn signal / high beam switch. These can fail internally as well and cause headlights - low beam, high beam, or both - to be inoperative. Have a certified technician check your headlight malfunction to determine the exact cause.