Q: My transmission is shifting improperly from 1st to 2nd

Transmission is shifting improperly from 1st to 2nd gear. It's not neccesarily hard, but it won't shift to 2nd gear unless it hits about 2300 rpms. After it shifts into 2nd gear, all the shifting is smooth and normal. I've done some research but I can only come up with a transmission output speed sensor but I think that throws an engine light and I have yet to have my check engine light to come on. Any ideas of what it could be?

Hi there. There are a few sensors that can cause this as well as some mechanical issues in the transmission. Even though the Check Engine Light is not coming on I always start by checking the computer for any codes. If there are codes it can help with the diagnosis.

If not then I drive the vehicle and monitor the sensor readings as it can be a transmission sensor problem or even a throttle position sensor issue.

I have also had a lot of issues with the valve body in this transmission failing and causing this to occur.

If you want to have this hard shifting problem checked out, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair this problem.

3. My transmission is shifting improperly from 1st to 2nd