Q: Need to know if I need to have brakes replaced at the same time as the master cylinder?

The brake makes a hydraulic type noise. When I press the brake pad, the SUV keeps sliding. The brake pedal sticks to the floor when I try to stop.

Hi, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy to provide my insight. You do not automatically need to replace the brakes with the master cylinder. When facing brake issues, always do a full inspection. Brakes are such a critical safety component, so ensure they are functioning 100%. If the brake pads, rotors, drums, or shoes are considered good according to manufacturer specifications, then you do not need to replace them. Inspect the brake booster as well. If replacing the master cylinder at home, make sure there are no leaks on the system. If you are loosing brake fluid, and its not leaking from the master, you have a leak and it must be repaired. Hydraulic fluid always needs to be bled after the system is opened and exposed to air. This process eliminates any air in the system that will compress and not allow the brakes to compress completely. Always refill the master cylinder with new hydraulic brake fluid when working on the system. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.

3. Need to know if I need to have brakes replaced at the same time as the master cylinder?