Q: My Sebring ill not shift out of drive.

My Chrysler Sebring will not shift out of drive. I have replaced the speed sensor but that didn't work, it still won't shift. It just stays in low drive. Could it be the ECM.

My car has an automatic transmission. The mileage is from a used engine---estimated mileage.

Most vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission, are equipped with shifter inter-lock mechanisms. This prevents the shifter from being moved unless the brake pedal is depressed. A number of things can prevent the shifter from moving. If the brake light switch is shorted and not sending the proper signal to the inter-lock mechanism, the shifter will not move. Another possibility is the inter-lock mechanism itself. It can be bent, worn, or out of adjustment. Other causes can be the shifter linkage being bent, loose, or out of adjustment, the ignition switch, or even mechanical damage inside the transmission.

Have a certified technician properly diagnose why the shifter will not move to isolate the exact cause as randomly replacing parts can get very expensive.