Q: Blower fuse gets HOT!!

asked by on November 13, 2016

My trucks blower fuse keeps getting so hot it's melting the solder out of the outgoing end of the fuse but not blowing the fuse. It has gotten so hot as to have melted the plastic around the fuse holder. I have replaced the blower motor, the fuse panel, and tried using a busman 20 amp circuit breaker to replace the fuse but even it is getting hot. Please help!

Hi there. Which side of the fuse is getting the heat? Does it stay hot all the time? It is highly recommended to not install a higher rated fuse as this may cause system damage. If it’s the blower circuit side, there is excessive amperage draw on that side of the circuit. If it’s on the power side, then that is the side with the excessive amperage draw. On the power side, use a digital volt/ohm meter to perform a voltage drop test and see if there is excessive voltage drop. If there is excessive voltage drop, there is a resistance concern on that wire; it could be corrosion or a breakage in the wire. Perform voltage drop tests on the blower circuit wires and correct as necessary. The blower resistor could also be a source of the hot fuse concern. The blower resistor changes the resistance of the circuit based on fan speed selection prior to power getting to the blower. A fault in the resistor may be causing an excessive draw. I strongly suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with an electrical problems inspection.