Q: Belt shredded after repair

I recently had my starter and serpentine belt replaced. The other night, the belt burned up and wrapped around the pulley and shredded. When I initially had the starter and belt replaced, the horn, radio, and AC did not work, even though they did work before the repair.

The pulleys and a/c would have to be checked for one or more being seized up causing the belt to shred. I have seen the a/c pulley bearing seize and tears up the compressor. I have also seen the tensioner or idler pulley seize. The last problem is the water pump seizing. All these can shred the belt. The last thing would be if the belt was not installed correctly and shredded from not being on the pulley’s correct when installed. I recommend you have a mechanic, like ones from YourMechanic, replace the serpentine belt and inspect all the pulleys.

3. Belt shredded after repair