Q: After driving the car for 10-15 miles , if I stop the engine and try to start it will CRANK but wont start

asked by on August 12, 2016

After driving the car for 10-15 miles , if I stop the engine and try to start it will CRANK but wont start . it will start the engine if i try to start after 30 minutes .why the car is starting after 30 3ins after stopping the engine.

Car is hard to start Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Next time this happens, push the gas pedal all the way to the floor. This puts the car into what is called clear flood mode. This means the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) will not supply injector pulse to the injectors, so they will not add fuel. This is a common issue on Nissans.

I believe you have a rich condition. A rich condition means more fuel is in the air/fuel mixture than the motor needs. Warm motors don’t start well with a rich condition. This is usually a result of a leaky fuel injector, or possibly a ruptured fuel pressure regulator, however these are just possibilities. A rich condition could also be due to something in the PCM’s programming.

In any case, try the clear flood test and see if the car starts. Keep in mind, this will require a longer cranking time and once it begins to fire, it may not run very smoothly. This is to be expected. Once it begins to run, let off the throttle and begin to feather the throttle - you want to give it just enough to keep it running. Eventually, the excess fuel in the intake will burn off and the engine will begin to run normally. The RPMs will gradually increase. Once you can get them up above 2000 RPM, (high idle), hold it there for a minute or so and this will help clear out the excess fuel.

If this doesn’t work, you probably have a module that is suffering from a hot soak condition. A hot soak occurs when a hot car is turned off, and all the cooling systems are turned off. All the heat that had been generated still needs to go somewhere, but it will have to escape via inductance, just like a hot pan on a stove, as opposed to coolant or air flow that is used to cool things all over your car.

If a hot soak condition is the case, the problem will need to be diagnosed while it is failing. This is a more detailed diagnosis that requires much more knowledge of automobile systems. In this case, I recommend an inspection of the hard-to-start condition

Good luck! I hope the clear flood technique works for you.