Q: I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi engine V8

I have put over $1,100 in their maintenance and parts into the truck I have put on a new throttle body put vale Springs in the engine I've had a manifold kit put it I've had spark plugs and a map sensor put on when the truck itself is started and it idle about five minutes then I have blue smoke coming out of my tailpipe the Thunderbolt light on my dashboard which is the throttle body light pops on and off my truck begin to stall and I have to put one foot on the brake and one foot on the gas because it wants to shut itself off everybody keeps telling me I need a new engine but I feel that it's only a simple problem one mechanic have told me that dealing with my oil cap when he took it off when he put the palm of his hand on the top of my oil cap is sucking air in and he said it's supposed to reverse itself instead of sucking air in it supposed to be able to suck air out take it out but could you tell me what's going on after I've said all this.

Hi There,

It sounds like you may have a couple of separate issues going on here. The idling problem may suggest you have a dirty or faulty idle air control valve. The idle air control valve monitors the air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the engine at low speeds and at idle. This valve is controlled by the vehicle’s computer and will adjust idle speed based upon other measurements such as engine temperature, intake air temperature and electrical system load or voltage. This is also an important function when starting the motor as it allows the motor to run and idle on it’s own once the motor fires. When you accelerate, the engine RPM increases, and as you let off the gas, the RPM slowly returns to the normal idling speed with the help of the idle air control valve making the transition from a higher RPM back down to idle speed while adjusting the air/fuel ratio constantly to allow this to happen smoothly. When the engine RPM drops below the normal range of about ~800 RPM, this often times will cause the engine to stall indicating a dirty or faulty idle air control valve.

Blue smoke coming from your exhaust generally means that the motor is burning the engine oil. This can happen for a couple of different reasons such as worn piston rings or leaking valve guide seals. When this happens, the engine oil is burned in the combustion chamber along with the fuel which is what generates the blue smoke coming from the exhaust. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.