Q: Steering wheel hard to turn in 2000 Pontiac Bonneville

asked by on February 05, 2016

The steering wheel is very hard to turn. And when it does turn, the wheel does not turn in the intended direction.

Steering wheel is hard to turn Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

If your steering wheel is difficult to turn and causing your vehicle to go in a different direction than intended, you may have an issue with your rack and pinion. The rack and pinion is what is acted upon by the power steering fluid when you turn the wheel. The rack and pinion is connected to both front wheels via the inner and outer tie rod ends. The rack and pinion has a gear inside of it that can sometimes break off teeth, rendering the part useless. It is also possible that you have low power steering fluid. Having your power steering system inspected by a certified mechanic would by my best recommendation.