Q: Car revs high

asked by on October 10, 2016

My tiburon will rev at about 2000 rpm While driving and get no acceleration while doing so. It generally happens after the car has been drivien for about 10 minutes. Almost feels like it is gasping for air or fuel. If I let off the acceleration it will still rev high. No codes on ecm or computer. Had a previous code for brake light switch and evap valve. Replaced them both and it went away but now is back to a high rev again

Air leaks into the intake system (a loose hose, or the EVAP valve as you have already experienced). If there are no codes, even transient codes which may not set the Check Engine Light, the problem could be a loose hose, intake gasket or coupling, or other intake passage component which may not be directly monitored by engine management (i.e. power brake booster vacuum hose for example). If you need help having this checked, I would recommend having a certified professional from YourMechanic diagnose the high idle speed so that this can be repaired properly.