Q: Shift link or Axle issue

asked by on October 02, 2016

Tonight while driving my car started acting like the transmission was slipping. I got no more than another 1/2 mile down the road and it stopped moving completely but the engine would rev. We pushed it safely into a parking lot. When I restarted the car and moved the shifter into drive I heard a loud clanking sound. When I moved it back into park it sounded like gears grinding. Also in order to keep the car from rolling I had to apply the e-brake. Before this I had been having a loud clanking noise and vibration which went away for a day before returning yesterday. Originally was told my strut assembly was going so equated the original issue to that.

Hello.

From what you’ve described it would appear that your vehicle may have suffered serious transmission issues. Slipping and grinding sounds are commonly associated with internal transmission issues.

It may be possible that the torque converter or transmission gears have worn out or broken.

I would recommend having the vehicle looked at by a professional technician for a proper diagnosis of your slipping issue, as transmission repairs can be expensive.