Q: I am having an oil leak coming from the bottom and the top of my engine, what could cause this?

asked by on October 23, 2016

I have a oil leak, it isn't too bad. My muffler smokes a lot and it leaks. Oil is coming from the bottom of the engine and on the middle of the engine where the crease is. What could cause this?

Hi there. Most of the time these leaks come from the valve cover gaskets or the upper oil pan area. If the leak is really small, it can be caused by a failure in the PVC system. If the leak cannot be easily found, then I would usually put some dye in the oil to find the leak. If there is a leak in either of these spots, then the gaskets would need to be replaced. If you want to have this oil leak fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair this.