Q: Temp Gauge marks higher than usual

asked by on February 04, 2017

So I had over heating when I got the car 6 months ago and I went to mechanic and replaced the radiator fan, after that it was all normal. 4 months later, now, one day the gauge was going up to the third line at idle and when inwas on the road it would go down, I checked it and it was missing coolant. Put some and it fixed the problem, two weeks later , today, the gauge goes up at idle and I put anti freeze and everything , the company resovoir was higher than the full line, took some out, and it was at the line and added coolant and blended it. Still does the same... I'm on the road it's normal, but when I'm on idle or parked it goes up.. thanks.

Hi There, It sounds like your vehicle tends to overheat when sitting at an idle more often than when driving at highway speeds. It sounds like you may have a faulty coolant fan relay. The coolant fan relay helps to maintain the proper coolant temperature by turning on and off at specific temperature thresholds. When this relay is not working properly, this can cause the fans to come on intermittently, stay on all the time or sometimes not at all. When this happens you will notice a temperature spike and drop occasionally as the fan comes on and off. I would suggest having an expert from Your Mechanic come to your home to diagnose your coolant fan.