Q: Dash lights flashing on while driving

asked by on April 28, 2017

2013 Grand Jeep Cherokee Laredo, This car was recently purchased. Within ten days of purchasing it the issues began. The first time I was traveling on a highway still accelerating at around 52 mph, all the dash lights flashed on (everything the lights that flash on when first starting the car) and the car dinged at me like it does when I start it or do not have my seatbelt on. It happened quickly twice in succession. Three to four days later driving at night the dash lights and headlights flashed off for a second, very scary, I was on a back country road!! No sounds happened that time and the numerous dash lights did not flash on. Two mechanics told us that there were inactive error codes but they don't know what caused this to happen. They put 230 miles on the car and it didn't do it. I got it back and within 3 days it happened again with dash lights all coming on and car dinging. I would appreciate any ideas and some education on why error codes exist if they don't help?

Hello, thank you for writing in. Electrical issues can be incredibly difficult to diagnose. Typically when every dash light turns on, there is an issue with the main power supply. This means an issue with the battery, alternator, wiring, or main fuse box. This would also explain why all power cut out to the vehicle. Focus on the charging system by testing the alternator and battery. Keep in mind the issue may need to be occurring for the problem to be found. For more help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.