Q: What does the security indicator light mean?

asked by on December 14, 2015

What does the security indicator light mean?

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

The Security Indicator Light illuminates to indicate that the security system is either working properly or to let you know that there is a fault in the system.

If the Security Indicator Light is flashing with the key out of the ignition lock and accessory position, this is a normal sign that the alarm and the immobilizer system is active.

While starting the car or key in the "run" position, the security lamp should illuminate briefly then go out. This a “bulb check” and is also normal.

If the Security Indicator Light is on steady with the key in the "run" position, and the vehicle won’t start, there could be a fault with the system. In this case, the first thing to try is a different key to see if this starts the vehicle. If it starts, the key is faulty or the system has a problem with that key. If you are still getting a no-start with the light on steady, the system is at fault and will need to be inspected.