Q: Loss of compression on all 4 cylinders

My car just stopped running after driving for 15 minutes. No lights where on previous to this. I bought it brand new in 2010 and always get maintenance when its due. My extended warranty expired 6 months ago. Now Toyota says its going to cost 6 to 7 grand roughly to fix. What should I do? What are my options? I'm leaning towards buying a new car but have crappy credit.

There are quite a few issues that can cause a four cylinder engine to lose compression on all cylinders. Unfortunately, none of them are what would be considered inexpensive. There could be a problem with the timing chain, camshaft problem, valve issue, defective pistons or rings, or many other possibilities. The cost to repair these issues varies wildly due to the amount of time and parts required to repair each issue. It would first be necessary to find out exactly what has occurred to be able to make an honest recommendation on how to proceed. Other than repairing the engine that you already have, you also have the options to replace it with a used engine, replace it with a new engine, or have the current engine rebuilt (as long as there is no major damage). If you need more help with your options, contact a certified mechanic, like those available at YourMechanic.com.

3. Loss of compression on all 4 cylinders