The air conditioner doesn't work only when idle, works gr...

Q: The air conditioner doesn't work only when idle, works great when moving.

asked by on October 16, 2016

Above described it

Hello. The most common cause for this is a low refrigerant charge. There could be a problem with a sensor or even a wiring issue, but it is most common for there to be a minor leak in the system and it causes the pressure to be a little low. When you are driving, and the RPMs are a little higher, this causes more pressure in the system and it begins to work normally again until the RPM’s fall back down. There are sensors in the system that monitor the system pressure and will shut the A/C off to avoid system damage. A certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the A/C system if you need further help.