Q: Diesel truck broke down. No steering or brakes.

asked by on December 28, 2015

My Dually broke down. The steering and brakes went out, and it flashed Battery Not Charging. The battery was replaced about 2 months ago and the alternator is only 1 1/2 to 2 years old. Towing company suggested it might have been a belt issue. I did hear a squeal a few days prior and a whine issuing from the engine area on and off since then.

I believe that the towing company is correct. Heavy duty trucks get their power brakes hydraulically instead of a vacuum booster like passenger cars. Heavy duty trucks actually get their assist from the power steering pump fluid. So, if your belt failed that would cause you to loose power steering and brakes. I would ask for help from a mechanic to check all of the pulleys on the engine to make sure that they all spin freely and are not damaged before installing a new belt on your truck.