Q: Engine seized...rods shot out both sides of engine block.

I need to have a question answered regarding a Toyota Tundra Engine (2003 Tundra with V6 3.4L at 111000 miles) and the possible issues that could arise with running it without an air filter. Is it possible for this engine to eventually (within about a four month time period) throw two rods (one on each side of the engine block) from driving the vehicle without an air filter to the point that the Mass Air Flow Sensor failed due to being clogged with debris. Long story short is that a lube shop left out my air filter and I drove it for over 3000 miles sucking in unprotected air. It wasn't discovered until after my truck died from contamination from floating cotton wood debris that clogged the MAF sensor. 2000 miles later the truck throws a rod.

Hello. To answer your question, yes, the lack of an air filter can cause catastrophic engine damage. Over time, the debris will build up inside of the engine as it mixes with air and other carbon contaminates. Eventually, it will build up so much debris that damage will occur (including damage to the mass air flow sensor). In most cases, the debris will get caught in the valves which will hold them open and can cause a series of running issues as well as the piston hitting the valve. It can also cause enough build up in the cylinder that the piston seizes up, which will cause the engine to throw the rod. There are plenty of reasons for why this would happen. I hope this helps.