Q: Ignition won't turn, steering wheel lock not engaged.

My key will not turn in my ignition, I have checked dozens of times to be sure it is fully in park, battery is charged, key is not obstructed, etc. The strange part is that the steering wheel lock that usually stops you from turning your wheels when the key is off, is not engaged. It normally is, but I can turn my wheel freely with the key out now. Is it possible that the steering wheel lock has broken and is permanently stopping the key from turning?

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy to ...

Hi, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy to provide my insight. It is possible the ignition mechanism is broken inside the steering column. I suggest trying to turn over your car with a spare key, to see if the ignition turns with the different key. If you do not have an extra key, then look at the key you have to see if it shows signs of wear. If it is, then have a copy made to see if that works.

If you would like help looking at your ignition system, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.