Q: Check engine light and grinding sound when start.

I have p0016 p0017 code on my 2007 Lexus Gs 450h. When to dealership three times and they just reset the code and tell me its ok. Now it makes a loud grinding noise(non metal sound)when starts. I'm wondering if it's my hearer motor as my gas engine turns on more often to charge my battery when I have the heat on. Or can it just be all the starter related issue? I have done some research and changed the crank shaft sensor, thinking it could be that issue. No machenic is willing or trying to do anything about hybrid cars here in my town. Help me.

Hi there. Since the sound is only occurring when the vehicle is started up, then most likely the timing chain tensioner(s) are worn or the actuator is sticking and causing the timing chain to be loose until enough engine oil is produced. I recommend servicing the engine oil and filter first. If the noise continues, then take a automotive stethoscope and listen for the sound on the engine during startup. This will give you a more of an understanding of where the noise is coming from. Also, the camshaft position sensor could be not working properly causing the engine to make the engine lights to come on, but will not make the noise unless there is something lodged between the sensor and the camshaft.

Now, this is rare, but if your engine has variable valve timing, then the variable valve timing solenoid could be sticking.

If you need further assistance with your engine making a noise, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Check engine light and grinding sound when start.