Q: Thinking of buying a different car. I found one online and took it for a test drive. It has a few concerns. Is it worth investing?

asked by on February 06, 2017

I'm interested in purchasing a vehicle. It's a 5 speed '98 Impreza. It has a few issues and I'm not very good with cars. He listed 3 concerns about the vehicle: 1. Clicking sound when driving and can be heard when driving. Doesn't seem to get louder with speed but it makes no noise when at idle. He says it might be a wheel bearing but isn't sure. 2. He says one of the struts in the rear is in need of replacing. I'm not sure what it is but I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary when driving. 3. Shifter has excessive play when in gear. It goes into gear just fine but wobbles a lot from side to side. I also couldn't seem to put it in the right gear each time I try shifting from 2nd to 3rd. As I take the shifter and move it forward, it goes to 1st. I have to move it to the right a bit to put it into 3rd.

My question is, does this look like it will be a very costly investment? Any possible ideas for which part (s) may be faulty? Is it even worth it? It would be a daily driver. Thanks

Hi there. With the problems that you have mentioned, this could be an expensive fix, depending on what is wrong with the clicking sound and what is wrong with the transmission. The clicking sound is more of a CV Shaft joint failing and the transmission shifter either has a broken shift collar or the fork is broken on the rail of the shifter. The vehicle could be a good investment if you are planning on replacing the parts yourself, but if you are wanting to have a shop replace the parts, then the repairs will be costly. I recommend looking for a vehicle that does not need a lot of maintenance right away. If you need further assistance with your car choice, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.