Q: Car quits a few seconds after start up

My truck is having trouble starting. It will start, but then quit immediately. The engine will continuously crank, even when taking my hand off the key. This will repeat over and over until it starts normally. Some days this doesn't happen and then every few days it does. What is your assessment of what's happening?

Toyota has a TSB that states a no start condition due to water intrusion in the engine harness. This could be an intermittent condition and is caused due to poor contact from corrosion caused by water ingress. Fault codes need to be read out and one possible fault to indicate this condition would be fault B2799. The bulletin shows several connectors on the wiring harness that need to be separated and inspected for water intrusion. As access to these connectors may be difficult, you may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will inspect why your car will not turn over.

3. Car quits a few seconds after start up