Q: 2002 Buick LeSabre overheated and now won't start

asked by on December 18, 2015

The car got hot and broke down and I had it towed home. The oil light was on for a long time and so I began adding water and oil on a regular basis. The last time I added water I forgot to put the radiator cap back on and the car overheated again. Now, the car won't start.

Hi, Your engine most likely has major head gasket failure and possible oil pump failure also. Running for a long time with the oil light on could have caused major internal failure of the bearings if the light being on was due to low oil pressure. The overheating of these engines with aluminum cylinder heads can cause warpage and cracks in the heads. My recommendation is to have a qualified technician do a thorough inspection of the overheating problem. The oil light can not be tested unless the engine can start and oil pressure is checked.