Q: Wheel squeals at high speeds

Front passenger-side wheel squeals (loud) during high rate of speed (55+ mph). Both auto shops didn't have this experience. Per (both) service-techs discussions, the brakes are in good condition.

Your thoughts....jb

Hello.

Wheel squeals can be caused by a few different things. The most common causes are worn or dirty brakes, or a faulty wheel bearing. If the vehicle’s brakes wear low, or become excessively dusty they may vibrate and cause a squeal. If the brakes are not low, I would check to make sure that they are not dusty, and that the calipers are retracting properly.

Similar symptoms can also be caused by a faulty rotor, that is excessively worn, or out of round. I would also check to make sure that the wheel bearings are not loose. Squealing can also be caused by a worn or damaged wheel bearing. If the wheel bearing is loose or worn it may squeal and drone as the vehicle moves forward.

I would recommend lifting the vehicle and checking the wheel bearing for looseness, as well as the brake pads to see if they may be low or dusty. If these both check out then it may be possible that the squealing is related to the tires.

To avoid any unnecessary repairs, I recommend having the squealing noise diagnosed by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.

3. Wheel squeals at high speeds