Q: Clicking when under load

I have an 04 Nissan Frontier with over 300,000 miles. I just got it and don't know anything about the former owner/s. This started a few days ago and I haven't driven it since. There was a "clunk" then a "ticking" when accelerating. The ticking increases in rpms as the truck goes faster. It doesn't do this when coasting or in reverse. I haven't been able to put it up on jack stands and run it.

If there is no noise in reverse, regardless of engine speed while in reverse, then you have eliminated the engine as a source of the noise but implicated the transmission and/or the drive axles. However, engine speed is typically low in reverse so maybe the noise is there but just not as apparent. On an engine with this many miles, ticking noises are typically from the valve train. You can eliminate the accessory drives as a possible source by briefly running the engine without the serpentine belt. If the noise remains when the vehicle is stationary, in park or neutral, then the noise probably reflects an internal engine fault. If you request a vehicle noise diagnostic, the responding certified mechanic will definitely find the origin of the noise. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Clicking when under load