Q: Turning left I get a rhythmic chirp, sounds like brake pad indicator; chirping increases w/ speed; stops when brake applied

asked by on August 22, 2017

When making a left turn of about 30 degrees or more I hear a rhythmic chirp that sounds like the brake pad indicator. Once I straighten the wheel (or apply the brake) the chirping stops. Chirping increases/decreases with speed. Haven't yet inspected the condition of brake pads (last inspection some time ago appeared to have sufficient meat on the pads) but wondered if there were any other possible culprits to consider. I've had a higher amount of stop-and-go travel this past year than highway driving. Thank you in advance for your reply.

Hello, thank you for writing in. The noises you are hearing are most likely the brakes. What is causing them to chirp is what needs to be the main focus, at least until you can rule out the braking system. Check the wear indicators to see if they are sticking up passed the braking material on the pads. Make sure the slides on the calipers are well oiled and sliding freely. Stop and go traffic will wear down the brakes much faster than highway driving, and you may have simply worn down that pad. Beyond the braking system, look for any rubbing when the wheel is turned. That would include the brake calipers on the rotors, control arms and suspension (worn components may rub or touch when they should not), or any other signs of rubbing. Typically you would see shiny metal where things are touching or scratching, a lack of paint in that area, or similar marks that give it away. For more help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr