Q: QUESTION REGARDING OIL PAN GASKET REPLACEMENT

asked by on April 22, 2017

I was told before that I needed a oil pan gasket and valve cover gasket replaced by YourMechanic. I recently has my engine swapped and was wondering if since I had the engine swapped, would the engine come with another oil pan gasket and valve cover gasket or are they separate from the engine?

If the engine swap was for a "complete", 100% assembled engine, the gaskets (oil pan and valve cover) are already in place. If the engine swap was a complete rebuilt (re-manufactured) engine, you needn’t worry about leaks at the oil pan and valve cover as the gaskets will be new. However, if a "used" engine was installed, it is possible to have oil leaks in the used engine just about anywhere in the engine. "Seals" on engines (gaskets and so forth) generally have a usable service life of no more than 10 years. After that, leaks will occur no matter how well maintained a car is simply because seals are rubber based products subjected to very high heat and wear. If you suspect oil leaks and want to have that investigated, please simply request an oil leak inspection/diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.