Convertible top won't go up electrical system gears 2005 ...

Q: Convertible top won't go up

asked by on September 11, 2017

The convertible top won't go back up while the car is running. Essentially, I started the car, dropped the top down without any issues and went for a drive. When I parked the car with it still running and tried to raise the top, the top wouldn't move, no noise or anything. However, when I shut the car off and tried again with the key in the on position, but the engine wasn't running, it moved just fine. This is an intermittent problem, sometimes it won't have any issues, other times it has this issue.

Hello, thank you for writing in. Due to the fact the convertible top’s motors make no noise when they are triggered, they are likely not receiving any power. The most likely reason for this is a short that is only present when all the vehicle’s systems are working (or when the vehicle is running). You can inspect the wiring for signs of damage or stress, and make sure none are exposed. A short can happen with a metal component around it, or with another circuit. It may be another circuit that is only active when the car is running, and it may be stealing the power to the convertible top’s motors. Only further inspection will tell.