Q: My mechanic is saying the timing chain is bad (causing oil leaks). Does a timing chain cause oil leaks? What are your thoughts?

I had valve cover gaskets replaced a month ago. Now my mechanic is saying the timing chain is bad (causing oil leaks). Does a timing chain cause oil leaks? What are your thoughts?

Hi, thanks for writing in. Timing change themselves cannot cause an oil leak but the timing chain cover can cause an oil leak. In order to replace the timing cover gasket, you will have to remove the serpentine belt and anything that has belt driven. This includes the alternator power steering pump air conditioning compressor and crankshaft pulley as well as the water pump. Once all of this is remove the timing cover can be removed and the gasket can be replaced. I would strongly recommend having this job performed by a professional as many parts are required to be removed in order to even access the timing cover. Here at YourMechanic, we can have a technician come to your home or office to perform this replacement for you.

3. My mechanic is saying the timing chain is bad (causing oil leaks). Does a timing chain cause oil leaks? What are your thoughts?