Q: I have a 94 Geo Prizm with a 1.6 motor. My girl was driving home today in hot weather when the car started to lose power going up

asked by on May 25, 2017

Car stalled going uphill on a hot afternoon. My girl pulled to the side of the road and shut the car off. Now it will not start. It turns over fine but acts like it's not getting fuel. Tank is over half full. Not sure if this could be cap/rotor issue or if it is fuel related. Just want an idea on where to start. At some points during cranking it it will abruptly seize and I have to stop, turn key back, and crank again. Any help is appreciated.

The first thin to check is the oil and coolant in the engine to see if the engine is seized from no oil or overheating from loss of coolant. Your fuel pump in the fuel tank may have stopped pumping fuel also. You will need to check the fuel pressure or engine ignition for loss of spark to see if you need to replace the fuel pump or ignition module. Bottom line is there can be many different causes for loss of power and no start like you had.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr