Q: Need to fix Check Engine light.

The Check Engine light is coming on.

Car sputtering when idling

Since the check engine light is on that means that the computer is seeing a problem. I typically start by scanning the computer for codes. This will give me a starting point. From what you are saying it sounds like...

Code reader not working.

Hi, issues with the data link connector are common. Most of the time a bad fuse is the culprit. If you have verified the fuse is good, there are other things you can visually inspect before seeking the help of...

Vsa, check engine, ! 3 lit up, at stop sign, felt like trans. Changed. Only go 5-10 mph

Hi there. First, you'll need to retrieve the code stored for the Check Engine Light; this will lead the technician to the system that has the fault and possibly be tied with the other warning lights. Many times a simply...

Do I have to drop gas tank to change fuel pump in my 2001 Hyundai xg300?

The Shop Manual does not refer to any need to remove the tank, therefore there should be an access panel under the seat. Obviously, if no access panel is visible beneath the seat, in that event the tank will have...

Car takes multiple tries to start when cold. Fine when warm. New battery. DLR says check valve on fuel pump assembly. Needs entire assembly?

The fuel pump has a small check valve the is suppose to keep fuel pressure up to the fuel injectors after you shut off the engine. The check valve is an integral part of the fuel pump assembly. The way...

Car chokes

Hesitation upon acceleration usually means the air/fuel mixture is lean or that there is an ignition misfire under load. Any of these conditions should set a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) and turn on the Check Engine Light. Retrieving the DTC...

Coolant leak causing overheating.

The service engine light would have to be scanned to find the cause of it being on. The overheating can be caused by the thermostat stuck or the fan control system problem. Since the engine overheated the loss of coolant...

Is there a way to find what past work has been done on my used vehicle?

Hi, thanks for writing in. There is not really a way to tell when and if the spark plugs were changed. A good mechanic, however will be able to remove them without breaking them and tell you whether or not...

can the oil in my coolent reservoir be caused by a bad coil

"Gunk" can simply mean that the coolant is old and in need of a cooling system flush.If it actually oil in the coolant reservoir, then odds are the head gasket may have failed. The head gasket keeps oil and coolant...