Q: Fuel pump not working 1997 Suzuki Esteem

My Esteem has been having periodic fuel pump problems. Sometimes it doesn’t work. It might start 5, 6 and even more times. Then suddenly it won’t work at all. It will always works while the car is running. It only quits working when I tried to start the car within a couple of hours of it being driven. My car will run fine for a few days and then it will stop working again. I replaced my old fuel pump with a new fuel pump. But the problem still persists. Do you know what might be wrong? And how I can fix this?

A: The problem may not be a fuel-related issue...

The problem may not be a fuel-related issue but spark or timing. If the engine speed sensor is failing and the computer cannot determine, which cylinder to fire the vehicle will not start. These sensors can often fail intermittently where one day will work and seem unresponsive the next. If you would like help having this checked, a certified professional can come to your car's location to diagnose starting issue and replace your fuel pump if necessary.