Q: How do I check the engine coolant level of a 2012 Nissan Altima?

How do I check the engine coolant level?

A: Checking the coolant level is an important ...

Checking the coolant level is an important part of general maintenance and should be done roughly once per month or so. It’s not hard to do, and here are the steps to follow:

1. Make sure the engine is cold. Never check coolant when the engine is hot.

2. Pop the hood.

3. Raise the hood and secure it with the prop rod.

4. Locate the coolant reservoir and check the level. If it is below the minimum mark, top it off to full.

5. If the reservoir is empty, you’ll need to check the coolant level in the radiator.

6. Open the radiator cap (when the engine is COLD).

7. Check the fluid level. It should be at the base of the neck.

8. Top off the coolant if it is low, and then fill the coolant reservoir.

9. If you regularly lose coolant, your car should be checked for a leak.

Nissan recommends having your coolant changed every 105,000 miles or 7 years if you’re using Nissan brand coolant.