Q: My radiator fan broke from hitting the shroud.

asked by on November 19, 2016

I just bought a used 2008 Ford Fusion with a rebuilt transmission and i noticed that the car vibrated pretty rough especially when the AC was on or when i first put it in drive. Then a few days later I heard a noise which turned out to be my radiator fan hitting the shroud. The fan broke in half after hitting the shroud. I know i need a new fan assembly but, do i need one with or without a control module? Also what could have caused this? Am I going to have the same problem with the new fan after i replace it? The only other issues I've noticed with the car is the battery cables are rigged together instead of securely clamped and the ac didnt blow cold consistently. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you, Jennifer Wood

Hello Jennifer. One way you may be able to tell if the new fan is going to work will be to figure out why the old fan was being interfered with. Was anything about the shroud or the original fan out of place? Was the fan mounted improperly to where it would be able to wiggle and come out of place? These fans can come loose and force themselves into the parts around them. If the shroud is in good condition and is the original part, a replacement fan should fit in it just fine. Obviously you will want to test the clearance before starting the vehilce. The control module option will depend on the condition of your current one. If you need a new module, motor, or resistor for the fan, replace it. Otherwise the option without is likely cheaper and should work just fine.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr