Q: Can't get into gear after clutch and gearbox replacement

Our car wouldn't get into gears with engine on (engine off was fine), mechanic said we needed a new clutch. He said it would take a day but ended up taking 3 days, apparently the job was bigger than he thought. After some 20 miles on the road the car stopped getting into gears again and then ended up stuck in 3rd. Mechanic took the car back for nearly two weeks and this time replaced the gearbox but the gears are still extremely stiff, at times we have to battle to put the car into first while the reverse gear makes a whining noise and is pretty much impossible to engage. What can be the problem? Has something gone wrong during the clutch replacement?

A: New gears in a new transmission will natura...

New gears in a new transmission will naturally be a bit stiff at first as the gears are freshly cut and have not been worn in as with the old transmission. However the issue of whining and not going into reverse is not normal and should be looked at by a professional. Gears in a transmission have what are called synchros which are small fork like components that assist with getting the car in and out of each gear. When these are not functioning correctly, this can cause the same problem you are describing. If you would like, a certified technician from YourMechanic can inspect your vehicle in regards to its inability to switch gears , and offer a second opinion.