Q: My oil pressure gauge is reading high

What could it possibly be if my oil pressure gauge is reading high?

A: Hi there. Excessive oil pressure registerin...

Hi there. Excessive oil pressure registering on the gauge can be due to a few different possible problems and would need additional testing to isolate the problem. The most common cause of the problem is the oil pressure sending unit is not registering the pressure correctly. The oil pressure should be checked to see if the pressure is within specification and then replace the oil pressure sending unit. If the oil pressure is too high, then you may have an internal oil pump pressure relief valve and would need the oil pump to be replaced. If you are using too thick of oil for the engine could also cause the issue. If you would like to have this checked, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to inspect the faulty oil gauge and follow through with repairs.